Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Villa Estate Cabernet Franc 2025 - A Lovely Finger Lakes Red!

The Zazzara family has been rooted in Central New York, building restaurants and developing real estate for more than 100 years. Set on a 57-acre property overlooking Cazenovia Lake, The Villa Estate and its vineyard are home to cold-hardy are planted with varietals suited to Central New York's climate. They also grow grapes at their vineyard in the Finger Lakes. 
The winemaker is Shannah Cheney (often credited online as Shannah or shahnathewinemaker). She is a graduate of the Finger Lakes Community College enology and viticulture program.

"When she reached her 30s, Cheney made the difficult decision to go back to college and study what would eventually lead to her favorite career. She attended Finger Lakes Community College in Canandaigua and earned a degree in enology and viticulture, the study of wine and winemaking," reported the Finger Lakes Times. 

“It was difficult going back to college in my 30s. I knew it would be,” admitted Cheney. “However, even during the worst weeks, it felt good, and I was happier than I had ever been. I knew I was on the right track.” Shannah manages wine production and crafting for the estate's cold-hardy varietals grown in Cazenovia as well as grapes from their Seneca Lake vineyard location. 

The Villa Estate Cabernet Franc Finger Lakes 2025 is grown in their vineyard near Seneca Lake. I shared this wine at a dinner party where we were served Bœuf Bourguignon. This largely fruit forward, medium bodied, dry red wine shone brightly! There were notes of raspberry jam, raspberry preserves and chewy blackberries - as well as fresh cut cherries. This was a well balanced wine, with notes of vanilla, terrific underlying acidity, and a smoothness down the middle that gave the wine terrific mouthfeel. A lovely, well balanced cold climate Cab Franc with a hint of pencil shaving and no vegetal notes. One of the big hits of the evening.

Congrats to Shannah and the group. A lovely Finger Lakes Cab Franc.