Pennsylvania Riesling? Seriously And dry at that? Hmmmm…I
frowned, as I picked the bottle up from the tasting table. I was at the Easter
Wineries Exposition when I saw this wine. I wasn;t sure what t make of the idea
of a serious Pennsylvania Riesling.
But I have to say, I gave it due consideration given the
producer: Vynecrest. Vynecrest is known for their eclectic mix of traditional
Old World grapes such as Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris,
Riesling, and Lemberger; hybrids such as Seyval Blanc, Vidal, Chambourcin and
Vignoles and New Age grapes such as Traminette, Noiret, Cayuga and the new grape
NY81.
Vynecrest’s roots can be traced back to John and Jan Landis
back when they began winemaking in 1972. Jan was editing a book called
"Homesteading." Piqued by the possibilities, they purchased a 5 acre
farm in Breinigsville, PA in 1973. Extensive research into soil and weather conditions
led them to plant their first fifty vines in 1974. John applied his chemical
engineering background to courses in enology and viticulture. Vynecrest Winery
officially opened its doors in 1989.
In 1998, Vynecrest became a charter member of the Lehigh
Valley Wine Trail. It has expanded several times over the years. In 1999,
Vynecrest started a partnership with Christkindlmarkt in Bethlehem where their
German Gluhwein, "Spiced Winter Red," remains a seasonal favorite.In
2002, Vynecrest became a Limited Liability Company (LLC), as John and Jan’s
youngest son Sam came back into the business. In 2003 Vynecrest completed a
modern facility connected to the original barn that is used for producing and
aging wines. Vynecrest is currently
producing 12,000 gallons a year with a goal to reach 20,000 gallons. Over 85%
of all wines produced at Vynecrest are estate bottled. With the acquisition of
an additional forty acres of outstanding grape growing land in 2007, Vynecrest
has enough land to continue further expansion.
The current partners of Vynecrest are John and Jan Landis,
their son Sam, and Malachi Duffy. John has a Ph.D. of chemical engineering and
is the winemaker at Vynecrest. In addition, he recently was the president of
the Pennsylvania Wine Association (PWA) and presently serves on the PA Wine
Commodity Board. Jan was president of the Lehigh Valley Wine Trail for four
years.
So they are serious folks. I decided to fill my glass. This
is a classic dry German-style dry Riesling Straw colored in the glass, the wine
oozes tropical notes, melon, and a hint of apple. On the palate the green apple
comes across with a tart, citrusy ending. Bright, delightful, and elegant. A
wonderful Riesling!
Cngrats to the folks at Vynecrest!
