Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Knapp Barrel Reserve Chardonnay 2013 (NY)


Admittedly, I have not really had a lot of Knapp wines over the last few years, so I was intrigued when I saw a bottle on a table at the Eastern Wineries Exposition 2015 in Syracuse just a few weeks ago. Knapp is close to Seneca Falls, and has been a popular winery from its inception in 1984.  In the year 2000, the winery was sold to current owners Gene Pierce and Scott Welliver. 

So, as I was saying, when I saw the bottle, I happily scooped it up and gave it a tug. The Knapp Barrel Reserve Chardonnay 2013 blossoms with aromas of Granny Smith apples and fresh Bosc pear, melon and some tropical fruits. There's very solid acidity which means the fruit stays with you a nice, long time. The toasted oak delivers a nice softness and butterscotch touch to the finish. But not enough to overwhelm the wine. Very nicely balanced. Layers of flavors. A lovely, barrel aged Chardonnay with a nice, zesty bounce in its step.

I'll have to try more of their recent vintages next time I get the opportunity!

Fantastic!