Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pugliese Vineyards Chardonnay Gold 2013 (NY)

I must say I feel badly that I have so rarely reviewed Pugliese Vineyards in the past. Truth is, I just have not had access to their product. Recetly, that changed. I went out to dinner over someone else's house, and they pulled out a bottle of the Pugliese Vineyards Chardonnay Gold 2013. I was thrilled.

Established in 1980, Pugliese Vineyards is one of the older vineyards in the North Fork. It is a family owned and operated vineyard where they grow Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Cabernet Franc, Zinfandel, and Niagara.

The winery was co-founded by the late Ralph Pugliese and his wife, Patricia. "A wonderful man who will be sorely missed," laments the winery's website.

The wine was a lovely light, straw-gold color. It was fermented in stainless and had an explosive nose of green apple, fresh pear, tropical fruit, and a hint of melon and citrus. And the wine itself had great fruit up front, led by the apple and fresh pear. Fruit just seemed to last, and last. Nice, zippy acidity kept the whole enterprise honest.

A lovely, lovely wine! Congrats to the Pugliese team! And I promise to review more in the future!