Thursday, August 07, 2014

Eagle Crest Rieslings - A Great Trio

While I was at the Finger Lakes Wine Festival, I decided to drop in on Will Ouweleen and Lisa Woodham of Eagle Crest Vineyards. And while I was at their stand, I tasted three outstanding Rieslings. Hemlock Lake is home to Eagle Crest and O-Neh-Da Vineyards, established in 1872, more than 140 years ago, offer natural, pure grape wines from locally grown Finger Lakes fruit.
First, I had thee Dry Riesling 2013 0.5% R.S. I LOVE dry Rieslings. And this Dry Riesling was fabulous. Nice, bright acidity, great fruit, green apples, tropical fruits, with hints of key lime and tangerine. Nice minerality. Gorgeous! 

Next was the Semi-Dry 2013 1.5% R.S. Big, juicy wine, explodes with apple, pear, tropical fruits, with a lovely hint of citrus and melon left on the palate. Fabulous!
And last was the On-no-lee 2.5% R.S. Big tropical fruit bouquet and citrus flavors like tropical cocktail Pineapple and citrus linger in your mouth. Wonderful!

These were real eye-openers. A great little trio of wines, and a wonderful surprise from our friends at Eagle Crest!