Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Southern Tier Creme Brulee


I can't lie. I bought this on a goof. I wanted a dessert beer, and I thought I've done the chocolate thing (which I love) but it just kinda caught my eye. And I love almost everything I've ever tasted from Southern Tier, which is based in Lakewood, NY.

First off, this is a big beer. A very big beer. It's an American Double Imperial Stout. The 10% ABV gives you a bit of a clue right off. But let me tell you, you never taste or smell the alcohol. You never see it coming.

This beer pours opaque black color. It seems to pour out in globs, it's so thick. I drank it in a  The head is a beige foamy layer that never seems to go away.  And when you smell this thick, rich ale, you start to see (or smell) what all the fuss is about. Big whiffs of vanilla and caramel come through on the nose. And the also come across on the palate. Just the right amount of bitter balances it out, but make no mistake, this is a dessert beer. A big, blonde brownie!

Fantastic!