Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Macari Early Wine Chardonnay 2013

 
I was down on Long Island again, and stopped by to see my friends at Macari, where they released their Early Wine Chardonnay 2013. This is always one of my favorite releases of the spring on the New York wine calendar.

 
When I visited last it was still cold, in was spring in name only. But by the time I had a chance to enjoy this wine, the weather had broken slightly, and we didn't have to wear fur parkas around the house anymore.

  
We made a lovely roast chicken, and we opened up a bottle of this wine. The nose was incredible with green apple, lemon, and pear all coming through as promised.  And yes, I got the tangerine and floral notes as well. Very impressive. The green apple came through on the palate as well, and the refreshing zest finish carried with it lots of lemon and grapefruit and hints of zest. It was a revelation with the chicken. Light, elegant, fun, and refreshing for a light, lovely chardonnay. I always love this wine, and this year's edition was no exception. Fantastic!!!
 
Winemaker Kelly Urbanik continues to shine, and Macari wines continue to wow impressively.