Wednesday, March 13, 2013


Monday, September 20, 2010

Millbrook Vineyards 2008 Cabernet Franc - Fantastic! 

On Friday, I went down to Millbrook Vineyards, in Millbrook, New York. There I saw General Manager, David Bova and winemaker John Graziano. John was hard at work. He was driving a fork left, directing people around the crush pad, as the fruit sat silent in long rows of large crates, waiting for the process to get to them.

The harvest was on. He had chardonnay on the crush pad, in large pallet size containers filled with harvested grapes, from bright green or champagne amber, and lots of juice oozing out from the ripened fruit.

Out in the vineyard, more chardonnay continued to hang, as well as beautifully manicured Cabernet Franc. David and John said they had steeled themselves, and that they would let the fruit hang as long as possible, as this was just too good a year to walk away from.

Once inside, John was busy adding up the math, calculating the brix levels of the chardonnay he was pressing. The readings were good, and John was very happy.

It’s always a treat to go to Millbrook, as it is one of the most picturesque wineries you will ever visit, tucked into the rolling hills of back country Dutchess County.

I took home with me several bottles. Actually more, but I didn’t tell my wife how much I actually brought back. I just quickly hid them in the cellar.

One of the first things I wanted to open, and so did Dominique, was the Millbrook Cabernet Franc. I had recently tried it at the Hudson Valley Wine & Food Festival a few weeks back. I had been thrilled with it then, and thought I might spring it on some guests and we’d have some fun.

This is not a 100% Cabernet Franc, which doesn’t bother me in the least. This 2008 Cab Franc was blended with 18% Merlot, and 7% Cabernet Sauvignon. The nose came across with lots of red raspberry and cherry with a touch of damson plum jam, and some hints of both vanilla and cocoa. It was earthier than I expected. It was a deep, rich, incredible wine. Something that really does stand out above the rest. A wine for the Hudson Valley to be proud of.

I served the wine to my guests, which included Steve Casscles, the winemaker at Hudson-Chatham, and other guests. We were all immediately enamored of the wine. That’s why Millbrook is the class of the Hudson Valley. We ate it with big hot helpings of freshly baked lasagna and large helpings of freshly made Gnocchi in Bolognese sauce, and some rustic local artisanal bread. A wonderful wine! Run, drive fast, fly…but get there, and put some of this on your table…and in your cellar as well.
posted by Carlo De Vito @ 5:40 AM