Sunday, February 17, 2013

Warwick Valley Doc's Draft Pumpkin Hard Apple Cider (NY)

 
Warwick Valley winery and Distillery is located in Warwick, NY, and is one of the Hudson Valley's premiere cider makers. Their apple and pear and raspberry ciders are staples inmost package stores in more than 10 states!
 
This past fall, they made a Pumpkin Hard Apple Cider. This was a seasonal cider made with roasted pumpkins, cinnamon, allspice, fresh ginger and nutmeg. Alcohol was around 5%.
 
Thi was an interesting entry into the whole pumpkin ale scene that seems to explode every year, expanding faster than my waistline.
 
But I thought this was a good addition to this genre. The cider still had a tremendous tart apple taste, so it was absolutely cider. But the addition of the pumpkin, ginger and nutmeg, definitely layered in the pumpkin in a lovely way. Instead of the flavors competing, they melded into a pumpkin pie kind of feel, with a smooth, almost creamy after taste.
 
I was prepared not to like this cider, but I must say that this was a terrific entry into the cider world. I enjoyed it so much, I bought a bunch and just recently enjoyed one during the Super Bowl. It doesn't have to be fall to enjoy one of these bad boys. In fact, I'm looking forward to this spring and summer, when I'll pop the top off another one of these, and start to dream about fall all over again!
 
It's tremendous, enjoy!