Saturday, February 23, 2013

Two Knockouts from the North Fork's Coffee Pot (NY)

Coffee Pot Cellars is among my favorite Long Island wineries. It’s small, and I just like their wines. I haven’t had one I haven’t liked yet. I tried two last fall and haven’t gotten around to getting them written up. So apologies to the folks at Coffee Pot.
The first is the 2010 Chardonnay North Fork Of Long Island. No, my esteemed colleague Lenn Thompson of the New York Cork Report has already reviewed the wine and liked it. I liked it before I read Lenn’s comments, but I thought they were worth repeating here…just in case you didn’t believe me. Here’s a real wine writer…."straightforward, offering yellow apple, lemon zest and faintly nutty notes... a Chardonnay... that promises to over-deliver for the price, I think successfully.” – Lenn Thompson, Dan’s Hamptons magazine.

According to Coffee Pot’s website, the wine was “fermented in neutral older oak barrels with no malolactic fermentation, our Chardonnay gets its silky texture and balance from sur lies aging. Literally meaning “on yeast” in French, sur lies aging lends bread dough aromas and body to wine as a result of the breakdown of yeast cell walls during barrel aging.” That’s pretty fancy, and impressive stuff.

As promised in their descriptions, I found the “fresh cut apple and orange zest” came through beautifully. The apple and the citrus ending come through in the aroma as well as across the palate. A light, beautiful wine with some spice and some lovely tropical notes as ell. Elegant!

The other was the Coffee Pot 2010 Sauvignon Blanc North Fork. This is Long Island summer in a bottle! 100% Sauvignon Blanc grapes fermented in stainless steel tanks with no malolactic fermentation. This is a big, bright, brilliant Sauvignon Blanc with huge waves of citrus and fresh cut grass. Big honeydew and melon and lemon zest. A light, fantastic wine! Great with fish, seafood, even cheese. A great wine to entertain with and impress your friends.

Coffee Pot continues to impress!