Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bedell Cellars Cab Franc 2010 (NY)


I missed tonight. Bloggers all over the country were tasting Cab Franc and I missed it. Damn! But that doesn't mean I was without Cab Franc. Actually I have one my new favorites - Bedell Cellars Cab Franc 2011.

I first had this wine when I visited the winery last September. Since then I have included it in a list of what I thought were some of the best red wines made on Long Island. But I never gave it it's own review. Well, with their success of being on Obama's inauguration table and it being Cab Franc night, thought I'd do a good deed.

According to the tasting notes : "Fresh, juicy, and bursting with red fruit flavor, this wine is graceful and alluring with a supple yet sophisticated texture. Fermented with indigenous yeast and aged in older French oak barrels and stainless steel. The nose is an aria of spices, cloves and wild flowers while flavors of red cherries, cranberries and pomegranates fill the glass."

This is a beautiful wine. The expression of fruit is forward and beautiful...like ripe fruit in your mouth, but balanced with extremely competent winemaking. It's a medium bodied with nice tannins, a whiff of vanilla, and is well balanced. Nice acidity. Very, very elegant.

This is the kind of red wine I think best exemplifies the east coast aesthetic. Let other regions make prune juice with a shot of booze in it. This is winemaking. This is balance and complexity. This is a food wine in the highest sense of the meaning. Wonderful. A Cab Franc that can match up with anyone's from around the world.