Sunday, December 23, 2012

Kreutz Creek Holiday Wassail (PA)


 
I must say that I am not much one for wassail and flavored wines of the kind. But I did do a tasting at Kreutz Creek sometime ago and came away with a bottle of it that I laid down in my cellar and forgot about.
Jim Kirkpatrick is the winemaker for Kreutz Creek Vineyards. He started making wine from a kit that his wife, Carole, gave him for his birthday in 1989. (Carole truly believes that’s how the “monster” was created.) Since everyone liked the wines from the kits, Jim and Carole thought they would try their hands at growing grapes. They moved to another home with 3 acres of land in Wrightsville, Pennsylvania where they started a small vineyard. Their home was located 100 yards from Kreutz Creek — hence, the vineyard was named.
Kreutz Creek Holiday Wassail is made with Niagara, pumpkin, cloves and cinnamon. Some people like it heated, some prefer it chilled. I drank it chilled. It was fun and fruity, with a nice acidity that balanced the sweetness and other flavors. It was a lovely wine to have with some locally made cheddar.

I was impressed. The wine delivered.

Nice job, Jim!