Sunday, January 08, 2012

Digrazia Fieldstone Red (CT)

When I was a college student and just in the few years after my graduation, one of the first wineries I visited (among those in Connecticut and New Jersey) was Digrazia Vineyards. As a young wine drinker, despite the finer wines my family drank (Nebbiolos, Bordeauxs and Burgundies) I did enjoy the lighter and brighter whites of some of the east coast wineries. And I liked semi-sweet whites. Once of my favorites was Autumn Spice, a pumpkin wine, which I later recommended in the mid-2000's. It made for a great Thanksgiving Wine. Back in the 1980s there were few wineries, and Dr. Digrazia was one of the pioneers of east coast winemaking, certainly in New England, let alone Connecticut.

DiGrazia Vineyards was founded in 1978 and is dedicated to producing premium wines of quality and unique variety. Over 15 wines are offered, ranging from dry to sweet, using estate grown grapes, local fruit and honey. Their two vineyard sites are established on high sloping hills to maximize growing potential and grapes grown lead to crisp, flavorful wines. Nine varieties of premium hybrid and native American wine grapes are planted.

Dr. Digrazia, founder and winemaker, is widely known for his clean, crisp style of winemaking and his innovative flair. He has been intensively involved in the production of high antioxidant wines. A wide range of table and dessert wines are offered at DiGrazia Vineyards including whites, blushes, reds, nouveau, spiced pumpkin, red and white port, and other unique wines. They are also available in Connecticut Package stores and by mail.

This was the first time I was tasting a Digrazia wine in a long time. I just haven't been able to get there, and I was never in a shop that carried their wine. But recently I found some as a wine store. And I was thrilled. It was like old times.

Fieldstone Red is a hybrid blend featuring Marchael Foch. The wine is aged in American oak. This is a nice, dark garnet colored red dry wine. Nice fruit up front. Big cherry nose, with hints of cassis. The wine was a very nice, medium-bodied, soft tannin red. Fabulous with food. Very nice.

131 Tower Rd.
Brookfield, CT 06804