Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Red Newt Riesling Sawmill Creek Vineyards 2009

I first met David Whiting when I began writing my book EAST COAST WINERIES many years ago. He was just starting up Red Newt Cellars. He had left Standing Stone, where he had made me a fan, to start his new label. I was a fan then, and I am a fan now. Grapes are a paint brush in this artist's hand.

I recently tasted the Red Newt Cellars Riesling - Sawmill Creek Vineyards 2009. This was a wonderful wine. It had a big nose with fresh green apple, with hints of lime and something more floral. The finish was incredible. It was a brilliant, light wine with a tremendous refreshing finish.

It's no wonder James Molesworth rewarded this spectacular wine with a score of 90 points in Wine Spectator.

An absolutely tremendous wine.