Saturday, May 21, 2011

Paumanok Merlot 2007

So I was out to lunch the other day with Barton Seaver (For Cod and Country) at Union Square Cafe' and on the wine list they had several New York wines. Since I was having meat, I decided on a glass of red. There on the menu they had Paumanok Merlot 2007.

Paumanok is one of the best vineyards out on the North Fork of Long Island. Founded in the spring of 1983, their 103 acre estate is entirely owned and managed by Ursula and Charles Massoud, and their three sons.

The Merlot 2007 was a big red up font with jammy flavors of plum, prune, and dark raspberries. There was a hint of vanilla on the nose. One of things I've always liked about Paumanok is that their reds seem much more in the Bordeaux/Rioja style, with good fruit up front, but with lots of complexity. The wine was gorgeous, and went beuaitufully with my meal.

A wonderful expereince.