Friday, February 25, 2011

Pumphouse Red 2007 from PWG on the North Fork

So I was in MacAdams BuyRite on Third Ave near 27th Street, looking for something new to try, when I stumbled upon this new label I'd never seen before - Pumphouse Red.

Cool, funky label. From the North Fork, and affordably priced. It was a 2007, which was a very good year, and it had a screw cap top! So I decided to take a shot.

Apparently, the wine is made up of 84% Merlot, 9% cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petit Verdot and 2% Syrah. Very impressive blend.

We opened up the wine, and it had big dark fruit on the nose. Blackberry, dark raspberries, deep, dark cherries. There was a whiff of vanilla. The taste was a repeat of what I smelled. Big, dark fruit up front, coupled with great acidity and nice tannins. And a great mouthfeel. The wine went down smooth and had a nice, long lasting finish.

This was a wonderful wine. Really enjoyed it. Congrats to PWG!

Read another review at Undertaking Wine: