Saturday, December 18, 2010

Terhune Orchard Vidal Blanc and Terhune Orchards Red Barn, Lawrence, NJ

So, for my birthday, I went to my parents' house in Lawrenceville, NJ. My mother made a big Italian dinner, complete with a big pot of red gravy, complete with lots of meat, and loaded on top of whole wheat pasta, and served with a dollop of ricotta cheese on top. Awesome.

As a birthday present, my parents had bought some local wines, very local, since Terhune Orchards is just down the road from the house, because they know I love local wine.

I've posted about Terhune Orchards Winery before. See the link below.

So, we started off with the Terhune Orchards Vidal Blanc New Jersey. This was a lovely, green apple flavored wine. Touch of citrus. No oak. Bright, refreshing, with great flavor and nice acidity. There was the slightest hint of sweetness. But only feint. I just sipped it for a while, and thought about how lovely it would be with any kind of cheese, salads, etc. A nice wine.

However, my favorite was the Terhune Orchards Red Barn a combination of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. This was a nice, medium bodied red table wine. Lots of lovely fruit up front, especially bright cherry and zesty raspberry. It was smooth, with low tannins, and lots of flavor. A great wine with cheese, for sipping, or with pizza, pasta, chicken or pork. Also, would be wonderful with bbq in the summer. A fun, nice table red.
Great job!