Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Martha Clara Merlot 2007 and Five - 0 2007


So there I was freezing my behind off at the New Amsterdam Farmers Market just this past Sunday, when I met a woman named Robin who enticed me to try some wines from Martha Clara. Arm twisting was not involed.

Martha Clara is the winery owned by the famed Entenmann family. This farm is one of their pride and joys. Giles Martin is the winemaker. And he is very talented.

First I tried their M-erlot 2007 which had lots of medium and dark cherry, and a health touch of dark raspberry. I nice, medium-bodied wine, this was a nic smooth wine, with just enough bite on the end to let you know it was there, but not to leave you without nice fresh juice in the mouth. A very, very nice wine.


Then I tried the big one - the "Five -O" Martha Clara 50 (pronounced "five-oh") is a close as you will get o California or Chile here on the east coast. This is Giles Martin's most ambitious wine at Martha Clara, and it succeeds beyond all imagaination. Mostly a Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc blend, with small dollops of malbec, Petite Verdot, and a touch of Syrah. Big, big deep fruit up front, with dark raspberries, dark cherries, and a stewed plums and prunes. Whiffs of vanilla, cocoa, and leather also come across. I loved it!!

Try these wines, and taste the exciting new flavors coming from Martha Clara! And thank you Robin!