Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Horton's "The Tower Series" Norton 2006



Horton, it must be said, is still the king of Norton. It seems every year I am lucky enough to try a Horton. And I am rarely disappointed. I love their Viognier. And I love their Touriga Nacional. But they are fmous for replanting and bringing back in a big way Norton. From what I have been able to gather the Tower Series is available only through Total Wine, which is where I got my bottle. Sounds like a special labeling/bottling for a large customer.
The vision of Horton Vineyards is to grow grapes ideally suited to the climate of the Old Dominion. This vision has led to the planting of French Rhone, Bordeaux and native Virginia grapes. Horton Vineyards is proud to re-introduce the famous Norton wine, the original Virginia Claret. Norton is a native Virginia grape that produced the internationally prize winning clarets of the Monticello Wine Company of Charlottesville in the late 1800's.

Their Norton is of a dark, rich color. It has an intensely fruity aroma - plums and tart cherries come through as promised. Ageing in oak for 14 months has given this wine a long, flavorful, spicy finish. A very nice, and unique wine.
I had mine with a pasta dish of spinach with olive oil and garlic layered over pan fried cheese filled ravioli. It was incredible. A lovely way to end a Tuesday evening.
Still worth the effort to find it.