Sunday, January 04, 2009

2006 Cabernet Franc from Crossing Vineyards



Tried to take some time off during the busy holidays after a very exhausting, but rewarding year. In the last two weeks Dominique and i visitied several wineries. Here the first in a series of stories about some of the wines and wineries we tried.

First up is Crossing Vinyards. Between Christmas and New Years, we decided to take a ride over to Crossing Vineyards, at Washington Crossing. We went in a caravan with my parents in one car, Dominique and myslf in another car, and my father-in-law holding up the rear with his dog (his constant travel companion)in the car.

Half way across New Jersey suddenly the dashboard of our SUV lit up like Dominique had just hit on a slot machine. Then, before we could pull over the side of he road as the middle car of this caravan, there was a load "Boom!" Then steam and spurting green liquid. In short, the alternator belt had broken, whipped around the inside of the engine a few times, and sliced up the radiator hose. Crap.

I volunteered to go with the tow truck, whose drive had assured me I would be back on the road in less than an hour. Instead, I arrived at the gas station on an ice-cold day at 1 o'clock and left at 4 o'clock. I missed the entire family outing at Crossings. I finally got home aorund 5pm.

Everyone raved about the tasting room, the property itself, and of course the wines. Everyone loved the barrel room and the vineyards. And of course the wines.



Suffice to say I was pissed. But everyone in the family came home with at least one bottle of the Cabernet Franc, among the many other wines. I had been grinding my teeth all day, with no telelvision, no book, no magazines, no radio. As I was poured a glass of wine, I wasn't sure of even a bottle of Cakebread or Turley or Kistler would salve.

But the flavors were very nice. The Cabernet Franc was fruity but dry. Nice forward fruit. Classic red structure. Very nice. It didn't make up for a lost and rare day off. But it was a nice way to finish the day.