Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Two New Red Newt Wines Strive for Excellence

There is no question that one of my favorite winemakers is David Whiting. When he first opened, I met him pouring his own wines at the Finger Lakes Wines Festival low those many years ago. He had no idea I was writing a book on wineries. I very rarely tell people who I am when I am shopping them. But David took the time to talk to me, an average Joe, and was truly excited about wine. I could have listened to his excited banter all day. I have been caught up in their winery/restaurant ever since.

So there was no question that Red Newt was one of the wineries I was going to visit on Route 414. It was my ultimate destination. I was anxious to try the wines, not knowing, of course, that a surprise awaited me. The folks at Red Newt are coming up with something new. They are working on stepping up their quite already considerable game - and taking it to a new level.

The two new wines I found were both outfitted with white linen labels, with classically done black and gold foils. The effect was quite handsome and the effort was to let you know something of extra-special quality was inside. I was not disaapointed.

The first was the 2006 Sauvignon Blanc Reserve. It's one of the few few Sauvignon Blanc wines in the Finger Lakes. And it's an elegant gold foil screw cap, just like from down under! There are touches of aroma of honeysuckle and honeydew melon. There is big fruit up front, with a long, lean, dry finnish. That touch of lemoniness comes through nicely. A great food wine...and I mean that as the highest compliment. Absolutely tremendous!

Red Newt Cellars Viridescens is a red blend with the same packaging. A very big, spicy red blend with lotf of fruit and dry finnish. A very nice red. Very meaty with lots of flavors. Excellent as well.

A great new step up! I wish Red Newt all the best!