Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hunt Country Cabernet Franc 2005

First, let me say I am a big fan of the Hunts. I have been for years. I have been buying heir wine since I was an assistant in publishing, back during the Civil War (just kidding). But I first discovered the Hunts at the Union Square Farmer's Market back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. And Art especially has been very nice to me over the years, though he may not even know it or me, but he's always open for a question, and can be very helpful. One only has to sit through his speaking about winery planning to know his self-depricating sense of humor and good wit.

Next, I would have to say, Christopher Wirth is a very good winemaker. This was his first Cab Franc at Hunt Country. This is a 100% Finger Lakes Cabernet Franc. He put the harvest in a three day cold soak, he let it mascerate for 14 days, pressed it, and barreled it in French and American oak for 12 months.

It was bottled on January 25, 2007 when they made 215 cases. It has an alcohol content of 13% and a Total Acidity of 6.0 g/L, with a 3.4 p.H.

Says Wirth of his wine, "The product of ideal ripening conditions in 2005, this Finger Lakes Cabernet Franc exhibits rich ruby color, firm tannins and hints of black cherry and light pepper….a beautiful companion to fine cuts of lamb or beef, bold vegetables like eggplant, and creamy cheeses."

He's right on the money. There are times when a wine writer simply needs to get out of the winemaker's way. This is one of them. This is a big red wine, good to drink now, and good to drink a decade from now. This is worth cellaring. And at $21.99 is a steal. Congrats to the Hunts and to Christopher Wirth. A wonderful big red wine that deserves to stand out.