Monday, April 24, 2006

Naylor Chambourcin




I was looking for a nice pinot noir for a luncheon Dominique and I hosted Captain James McGinis and his lovely wife Diane. Dominique had made two wonderful quiches, one broccoli and cheddar, and one was ham, brie, and apple. Both were excellent.

So there I was, rummaging through some chateauneuf-du-pape or pinot noir, looking for a nice light red. And these, among my French wines, I found a bottle of Naylor Chambourcin 1996. I had forgotten I ever owned it. It was very dusty and dirty. I wiped off the bottle and pulled out the decanter. I figured, I'd open it up. If it hadn't gone bad, if I hadn't suffered any spoilage, then I'd serve it and roll the dice.

Nestled among the green valleys of southern York County in Stewartstown, Pennsylvania are 80 acres of sensual adventure just waiting to be discovered. This is Naylor wine country, where some of Pennsylvania's most rewarded and respected estate wines are grown, fermented, aged and bottled according to traditions dating as far back as the 1800's.

Naylor Wine Cellars is a member of the Mason-Dixon Wine Trail, which includes such fantastic wineries as, Adams County Winery, Ortanna, PA, Allegro Vineyards, Brogue, PA, Basignani Winery, Sparks, MD, Boordy Vineyards, Hydes, MD, Fiore Winery, Pylesville, MD, Seven Valleys Vineyard, Glen Rock, PA, Woodhall Vineyards & Wine Cellars, Parkton, MD. It is one of the unsung wine trails on he east coast. But that's another column.

We had some soft ripened cheese from the Old Chatham Sheepherding Company (Chatham, New York) and washed it down with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot in the living room. We then adjourned to the diningroom.

We swirled the wine around the decantor again and again. It was wonderful! Bright cherry with nice acidity and a wonderful finish. It was quite the tremendous surprise. And every one was very happy. A tremnedous lunch was had by all.