Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Biltmore Winery in Ashville, North Carolina

When I was writing my book I had considered covering the Carolinas, but both my wife and my editor both said I had to cut it off somewhere. It was unfortunate because I had heard that the Biltmore Estate Winery was a treaure trove of fine wine on the east coast.

Recently, I went down to Ashville, North Carolina to visit the fine folks at Lark Books. I had fifteen minutes and ran to a local liquor store and bought some Biltmore wines. I was on a business trip, so I just didn't have the time to visit the winery.

"At the Biltmore Estate Winery, rich tradition meets state-of-the-art technology under the masterful direction of our French winemaker Bernard Delille. Vineyards on the estate's west side grow several varieties of vinifera grapes while the estate's former dairy complex now houses the winery. It produces 75,000 cases of wine each year in about 15 varieties. Biltmore wines have been awarded gold and double-gold medals in prestigious national and international competitions."

I got off the plane, drove home, and couldn't wait to pop the cork on a bottle or two. Dominique and I opened up a bottle of 2003 Biltmore Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Dominique made grilled pork chops, yellow rice, and black beans with diced kilbasa, diced apples, and onions. And then we opened up that bad boy of cabernet.

Biltmore's red had beautiful color and great legs. The color was a dark ruby red. And the nose was wonderful. Blackberry and cherry. And the taste was incredible. Nice fruit up front and a nice dry finnish. A lovely wine. I was sorry I did not get to visit the winery or get to taste more of their wines.

Sorry too because we drank the whole bottle and we won't a chance to drink it again for a while since I won't be going down there any time soon. But if you're in the area, or you get a chance, find some Biltmore Cabernet and drink away. It's an excellent of the most solid red wines on the eastcoast! And enjoy!!!!

And my apologies to the folks of the Carolinas....mea culpa. We'll get you on the reprint.