Monday, October 10, 2005

Run, Don't Jamesport Vineyards for Great Pinot Noir

Jamesport Vineyards is one of the oldest vineyards in Long Island. It’s 60 acres of Early Rising Farm tended by a father-son team by name of Ron Goeler Sr & Jr. Goerler pere bought the 150-year-old barn that houses the winery and tasting room in 1986.

Since then they have turned out a number of fabulous wines, one of which was reviewed here earlier. I was reluctant to review a second wine of theirs since I just recently gave them a write up not so long ago, but I could not resist. This nice sized winery, about 5,000 cases per year, makes some solid wines.

When we were last at the winery, I went to pick up a couple of bottles of Late Harvest Riesling. While we were there, we tasted a couple of other wines. I bought some things, pleasantly surprised, and put them in the cellar. Yesterday, I pulled one of them out.

My wife, Dominique, made a wonderful roast chicken (with lemon, rosemary, and butter, salt and pepper), with baked potatoes, fresh cut string beans, and a lovely salad for a very lovely Sunday dinner with the family. To accompany this warm meal, on the first cool day of the fall, I pulled out a bottle of Jamesport Pinot Noir, unfiltered 2002.

I didn’t remember what it tasted like, I only remembered I liked it very much. But it was beautiful! The nose was pure bright cherries. As promised, dark cherry, plum, cola and smoky vanilla aromas also come through. The wine is a mixture of bright cherry and plum…very rich. Great mouthfeel. This is easily one of the best Pinot Noirs on the east coast, for folks who like a deeper pinot, and can stand up to any pinot made anywhere. Seek this out. Call Jamesport…or try my trusty default when trying to find NY State wines…Vintage New York.

Seek this out…you don’t have to have a lot of money to feel rich…this is proof!